BANGALORE : ESTABLISHMENT AND HISTORY
Bangalore also known as Bengaluru is the capital of Karnataka. Karnataka is a state located in the southern part of India. This city is expanded over an area of 709 square kilometres. The official language spoken here is Kannada. The population is around 84.4 lakhs according to 2011 census. Kempe Gowda is said to be the founder of Bangalore. Mud fort and 4 watch towers were built by him. They were built in 1537 to demarcate the boundaries of the city.
The name ‘Bangalore’ was kept by him. He named the place as bends-kaal-uru. Its meaning is town of boiled beans. The settlements were increased near the mud fort. This fort was reconstructed in 1761. Stones were used for the reconstruction. This city also served as the headquarters of British Administration. The headquarters existed there from 1831 to 1881. People start immigrating in 1950’s for the purpose of jobs. Manufacturing industries were the main reason of jobs. Later, several factors led to major growth of job opportunities. Some factors were good education and economic policies.
The city has a pleasant weather at all times of the year. The rainfall is considered to be inadequate for the population. Bangalore has faced water shortages from along time. In 1873, the problem was dealt with. A chain of tanks were built called Miller’s Tanks in the Cantonment area. It is Asia’s first city to have electricity. The hydroelectric power plant located at the Shivanasamudra provided the electricity.
Kempe Gowda used to serve under the Vijayanagara kings. He was the feudal lord who shaped the city. This place is also known as the ‘Garden City’. In present day world, it serves immense job opportunities for startups and businesses. In 2006, the city was renamed as ‘Bengaluru’.
There are many historical places in the city which depicts its culture and traditions. These places also explains about the incidents which took place in the past. Here are TOP 10 HISTORICAL PLACES OF BANGALORE.
This palace is owned by Rev J Garrett. He was the first principal of the Central High School in Bangalore. This school is now known as the Central College. It is a royal palace built by King Chamaraja Wadiyar in 1887. The interiors are made of wood. There is lush green around due to presence of gardens. There are fortified towers and turreted parapets along with tudor buildings. There is also a large collection of photographs present of the time it was built.
Bangalore fort was built with mud in 1537. The one who made it come into existence is Kempe Gowda. Later in 1761, it was reconstructed with stones. The settlement grew around the fort. It offered a place of refuge for the inhabitants. Its perimeter was almost one mile. There is Fort Church built inside the campus. Later, Vani Vilas Hospital was constructed by demolishing it.
Built by B R Manickam, Vidhana Soudha is the seat of the bicameral state legislature of Karnataka. It was fully constructed in 1956. Its design reflects the Dravidian style. It expands over an area of 213 by 107 metres. There is one floor below ground level and four floors above it. There is slogan inscribed which states, “Government’s Work is God’s Work”. Rs 17.5 million was spent for the construction.
Attara Kacheri is located opposite Vidhan Soudha. It is basically a red painted stone and brick. The exact location is Cubbon Park, Bangalore. It serves as the premises of the Principal Bench of the Karnataka High Court. Previously, the secretariat of the Princely State of Mysore used to reside there. The upper storeys are made up of bricks. The botton one is built up of gneiss stone. It follows the neoclassical style and the tops are made of Grecian tiles.
This museum is one of the oldest in India and second oldest in South India. It was established in 1865 by the Mysore State. It was built under the guidance of Surgeon Edward Balfour and L B Bowring. It was first established at the Cantonment’s jail building. Since, its location was not suitable, a special museum was constructed. Eighteen galleries are divided into two exhibition floors. It has turned into an archaeological museum now.
TIPU SULTAN’S SUMMER PALACE
If one has to experience magnificient architecture of Indo-Islamic culture, then this palace is the perfect example. It used to be the summer residence of the Mysorean Ruler Tipu Sultan. The construction was completely done in 1791. It was adorned with pillars, arches and balconies. Teak was used for the construction. Zenana Quarters had four small rooms at the corners of the first floor. There also exists a painting of Grand Throne. Presently, achievements of Tipu Sultan can be seen in the museum. The ground floor has been converted to a museum. The area is well maintained and there is gardens and lawns around. After Tipu’s death, the throne was broken and sold.